R615 Fountain Pen - Hakai Special Edition
Single mindedly designed to produce beautiful flex lines. Precision engineered to be your pen of choice.
The R615 is designed to be as simple as possible (but no simpler). The overall form is described by a single elliptical curve and a flat plane. Beauty through mathematics. The flat sections line up to make a roll stop across three components: A Swiss watchmakers’ technique.
The feed design is fine tuned to bring you two options. An efficient and reliable injection molded plastic feed. And a polymer version should you prefer wetter ink flow.
The center of mass of the pen sits in the brass grip section to allow a neutral balance and better control of writing pressure for flex.
We've long been fans of the amazing craft skills of urushi artist and all-round lovely human, Ruth Bolton of Shibui North. Which is why we're honoured and proud to drop this very special and limited edition collab with her. Ruth has blended tradition with her unique style to painstakingly create these beautiful finishes exclusively for The Good Blue.
Hakai, meaning ‘destruction’, comes from Ruth’s use of a hammer to destroy the symmetry of the pen and create a new surface texture. Followed by the painstaking application of a gloss black urushi. And finished with gold and sliver powders. The urushi will get lighter with age and more detail will gradually appear around the hammered areas.
And that's not all. We wanted a special way to present something so unique. So we challenged master woodworker Vipul of Keiyosa to create a box that would be in harmony with the pen. And be an object in its own right. Using sustainable bamboo, stunning inset hinges and sciency magnets, Vipul's come up with the goods: A blend of maths and nature that's in perfect harmony and makes our hearts sing!
Take your pick from our selection of nibs and feeds
- Fine Flex Polymer Feed - A ‘fine’ nib that flexes happily to 1.4mm, paired with our specially designed polymer feed for wetter writing and juicy swells
- Titanium Flex - A soft, monster of a flex nib. Our wettest option puts down a ton of ink. Paired with our polymer feed for ink-flow that keeps up
- 14K Gold Flex - Our fine tipped 14K gold flex nib for that soft bouncy feel. Nice and wet, with our polymer feed that keeps up
Want a different nib? Read on…
It’s all standardised and interchangeable
We like to chop and change and hack and try. The R615 reflects this philosophy - you can make it your own. All our components are international standard and can easily be interchanged with many leading brands.
- Jowo Standard #6 Nib Unit - the R615 accommodates Jowo #6 Nib Units.
- Standard #6 nib - most #6 nibs will fit the R615. But not all, due to different nib curvatures.
- International standard cartridge converter - we’ve got you covered with Schmidt’s excellent K5 converter. But if you want to swap this out or use cartridges - international standard is the way to go.
The barrel and cap are machined from high grade 6082 aluminium, and then hand lacquered using the Japanese urushi lacquer and techniques
Our grip section is machined from CZ121 brass and is untreated. It is precision textured with a surface roughness for ergonomic grip. Over time it will age and develop a unique patina personalised to you. We think this is wonderful, but should you want to restore it to the original, all it needs is a gentle polish with any standard brass polish and a clean cloth.
Length uncapped: 138mm (inc. nib)
Section diameter: 10.5 mm, pinch point 10.25mm
Weight: 45.23 gms
Weight uncapped: 35.20 gms with nib unit
Materials: 6082 aluminium, urushi lacquered and CZ121 brass, untreated
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.